?

Log in

General shipping rant - Rabid fangirls and fanboys suck

> Recent Entries
> Archive
> Friends
> Profile

May 8th, 2010


Previous Entry Share Next Entry
lunaoh
03:36 pm - General shipping rant
Dear obnoxious fanbrats,

Just because you ship a pairing doesn't mean it's canon. No matter how many times you say so doesn't make it true. No matter how many times you try to cram your so-called "facts" down my throat doesn't make it canon!

Now, there's nothing wrong with fanon pairings. I ship a few too, and even if this particular ship is not my cup of tea, I have nothing against those who ship it. I do, however, have something against you screaming and throwing temper tantrums at me for DARING to not acknowledge your pwecious OTP as canon.

As much as you like the ship, it still hasn't happened. Nor will it ever happen. No matter how much "evidence" you think you've got doesn't make it canon.

Just get over it.

Love,

Me.

(I'm not mentioning any particular fandom since I've run into this sort of behaviour in many fandoms.)

EDIT: I forgot something important: Saying that your ship is canon doesn't make it better than anyone else's ship, whether it really is canon or not. Also, it makes you look like a complete asshat when the fandom in question has NO CANONICAL PAIRINGS.
Current Mood: boredbored

(31 comments | Leave a comment)

Comments:


[User Picture]
From:dawnrune
Date:May 8th, 2010 12:50 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I don't see why "canon" is of be-all, end-all importance to some 'shippers. Yeah, we want to keep some character interactions IC, and it's not always fun to watch some other 'ship become canon instead, but isn't half the fun of fandom exploring the what-ifs as opposed to just the what-is (or "what-is" in this case.) Personally, I think most of the fun of 'shipping non-canon pairings comes in having just that many more untold stories to tell. Rather than arguing that something is canon, I say just argue that it would be good if it were canon. I personally think that would be a more respectable approach.
[User Picture]
From:lunaoh
Date:May 8th, 2010 01:21 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I don't really understand it either. I mean, some people go as far as to say their ship is canon ergo better than the other when there are no canon ships in the show itself. I guess "canon" is some sort a magical word that makes everything better or something.
[User Picture]
From:aphephobia
Date:May 8th, 2010 01:26 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Heh. That's totally failing to understand the word canon then.

And that in itself makes me want to rage. :(
[User Picture]
From:lunaoh
Date:May 8th, 2010 01:33 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Oh yes. I guess some people really believe that "canon = whatever I like."

STUPIDITY!

[User Picture]
From:dai_atlas
Date:May 9th, 2010 04:36 am (UTC)
(Link)
From what I've seen, people want their OTPs to be canon so that they can accuse their rivals of being "bad writers," "Suethors," or "canon rapists" (or "homophobes" if the OTP is slash and the rivals are writing het). Meanwhile, their OTP will be synonymous with "good writing" because writing canon pairings is "more respectful" to the source material (never mind that people butcher canon pairings all the time).

Of course, this is just my experience. There's probably other reasons out there.
[User Picture]
From:mcity
Date:May 9th, 2010 11:39 pm (UTC)
(Link)
>(or "homophobes" if the OTP is slash and the rivals are writing het).

I once mentioned that a potential slash pairing squicked me out because the participants were underage cartoon characters, and most slash I've seen is sexual. I got accused of being a homophobe.
[User Picture]
From:swordygardener
Date:May 13th, 2010 05:32 am (UTC)
(Link)
Unless you voice the same issue with similar het pairings, you were.

Interestingly, people pretty much only complain about this when it's homosexual characters, whereas this in het gets a free pass.
[User Picture]
From:mcity
Date:May 13th, 2010 02:45 pm (UTC)
(Link)
>Unless you voice the same issue with similar het pairings, you were.

I do.
[User Picture]
From:calliopem_erato
Date:May 8th, 2010 12:52 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Hear! Hear! I agree with you.
[User Picture]
From:lunaoh
Date:May 8th, 2010 01:21 pm (UTC)
(Link)
^_^
[User Picture]
From:calliopem_erato
Date:May 8th, 2010 01:26 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I mean I don't mind fanon pairings as long as they respect my preferences. And it may be heavily implied in the series but may not necessary be canon unless the creator says so.

And not because they're practically together in the whole series means they're canon...not always anyway.
[User Picture]
From:lunaoh
Date:May 8th, 2010 01:34 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Amen to that.
[User Picture]
From:theidolhands
Date:May 8th, 2010 01:03 pm (UTC)

Amen.

(Link)
Of course, I haven't found fandom to be a raging source of maturity. lol.

Present company excluded.

If we really want to ruin their day, we should mention that all of these characters are MADE UP!
[User Picture]
From:lunaoh
Date:May 8th, 2010 01:23 pm (UTC)

Re: Amen.

(Link)
True, true.

Ooh, no better way to make the fan dumb RAGE! Too bad that would make my inbox burst. XD
[User Picture]
From:aphephobia
Date:May 8th, 2010 01:04 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Just because you ship a pairing doesn't mean it's canon.

Unless it is. :) Some fandoms do have canon pairings.



People have used that logic?-- "I ship it, therefore it is canon and the writers/developers have blatantly mentioned it in the source material to back up my claims of canon support"?


To be honest, I'd rather hear "I ship it because there's canon nudges/support for this pairing" rather than "they look cute together/I see myself in this character and I'm attracted to that character so they belong together to fuel my own fantasies about my life and idea partnership/I hate this other character so I want to see these two paired up/[gay/straight] sex is icky so they're totally with this character and not that one/look! Their clothes match! Therefore, they need to fuck!" or any of the other completely stupid shit I've seen some rabid fanthings come out with.

I can understand the irritation at having it shoved down your throat, but when someone's backing up a statement with logic and evidence and they're referencing canon as such, I can respect that a lot more than I can when someone's just spewing shit.


Generally, people ship something because it interests them on some level, canon-relevant or not, anyway. But if someone's trying to at least make me understand the appeal, I'm going to respect "there is subtext in canon suggesting those two have feelings for one another" far more than "the idea of them fucking makes my pants wet."


(And yeah, I say this as someone who ships things which are explictly mentioned in canon-- married couple, anyone?-- heavily hinted at in canon, and which canon offers absolutely no basis for whatsoever.)

Edited at 2010-05-08 01:07 pm (UTC)
[User Picture]
From:lunaoh
Date:May 8th, 2010 01:31 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Point taken. Sorry, I don't know what I was thinking. XD

Sadly, they have. Even in cases when it's blatantly untrue. -_-;

You're right, if someone ships something because they see subtext between the characters, that's just great. =) If something is well justified, well, I guess there isn't anything else to say but go for it. But when the so-called proof is something like "They have opposing colour schemes and personalities! Can't you just see the sparks?", it's...Pretty bad.
[User Picture]
From:aphephobia
Date:May 8th, 2010 01:42 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I was about to edit that comment I just made after seeing other comments here.

Either way's there's some batshit with the zealotry and just because something is canon it doesn't mean it's better. (I ship two characters who never meet in canon and who are in different games in a series, but theoretically they could meet in prison and their personalities compliment one another really well. That said, I'm not going to say it's canon and that anyone pairing either character with someone else is blasphemous and evil and horrible.)

But when the so-called proof is something like "They have opposing colour schemes and personalities! Can't you just see the sparks?", it's...Pretty bad.

HA! I love me some hatesex pairings, but unless there's something else there suggesting some inner conflict or "they've got more common ground than they think," I tend not to ship hatesex in the long run. I mean, part of being involved with someone is getting where they're coming from and all. :)

I had to use the icon I did: they've got opposing colour schemes at least, and they're on opposite sides of the courtroom, but there's a few canon nudges and a whole heap of other stuff going on between them. :)

That said, I really hate "They despise one another, therefore they're just in LOVE" as a trope. No... sometimes people can just not like other people. i know I don't want to shag people I dislike.
[User Picture]
From:lunaoh
Date:May 8th, 2010 02:10 pm (UTC)
(Link)
For real. What is it with shipping that makes so many people act like idiots? *Needs a Serious Business- icon XD;*

Lol, there's actually a pairing in my fandoms that does have some "opposites attract"-thing going on, but is rendered moot by the fact one of the characters is literally unable to love. Now, fanfiction can make everything possible and
even without that the pairing's still perfectly plausible from the hate-sex angle, but when people come telling me they're in wuv and it's blatantly obvious based on the show itself, I lol.

(This is kind of off-topic, but that's one adorable icon <3)
[User Picture]
From:danachii
Date:May 8th, 2010 03:32 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Ditto on what aphephobia said. Personally for me, I can't really ship a pairing unless I actually see that something is there between the two characters. If I don't see it, I don't support it. But that's just me though. I know a whole ton of people out there are different when it comes to this stuff. Some people like shipping fanon, crack, or even crack yaoi pairings, which is fine by me. :) I don't really have a problem with it, because people DO have their own preferences.

However one thing I do kind of agree with is how most of the canon shippers tend to over exaggerate the fact that it's canon and rub it in other peoples faces. It being "canon" doesn't necessarily make it better (unless if it has good and well-thought out development), and it doesn't even mean that I have to like it. That's actually the main reason why I don't like the Harry/Ginny pairing. It's canon, sure, but I just don't find it a believable pairing because of how it came off completely random to me (although I don't want to make an entire reply based on Harry Potter because that's a whole different series that should be saved for another time and place, so yeah. XD;; ).
[User Picture]
From:lunaoh
Date:May 8th, 2010 04:15 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Those "canon is always the best" -people sure can be a handful.
[User Picture]
From:sarajayechan
Date:May 8th, 2010 03:50 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Even worse are the fans who try to claim their ship was "supposed to" be canon but the creators chickened out because they "cannot do romance" and that their endgame pairing choices were them masturbating to childhood crushes that didn't work out.
[User Picture]
From:lunaoh
Date:May 8th, 2010 04:17 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Seriously, people say something like that? I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

I think I'm going to lol heartily. XD
[User Picture]
From:sarajayechan
Date:May 8th, 2010 09:16 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Yes, they do. XD
[User Picture]
From:dancingcarrot21
Date:October 19th, 2010 08:10 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Haha...wow.

Avatar fandom I'm assuming?
[User Picture]
From:sarajayechan
Date:October 19th, 2010 08:13 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Yes.
[User Picture]
From:dancingcarrot21
Date:October 19th, 2010 08:18 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I've never really gotten into that fandom other than the Tyzula community and the general board where I wrote a bunch of theories. But I've heard stories of how crazy the shippers can be.

But that's sort of rule of thumb that a bigger a fandom gets, the more insane it will become I guess. Which is why it's nice to go retreat to party in small fandoms.
[User Picture]
From:dai_atlas
Date:May 9th, 2010 04:38 am (UTC)
(Link)
So much word.

Oh, and let's not forget..."It's popular, so it's canon!"
[User Picture]
From:lunaoh
Date:May 9th, 2010 06:24 am (UTC)
(Link)
Thanks.

Ohh, I forgot about that! So much stupitidy...
[User Picture]
From:mcity
Date:May 9th, 2010 11:36 pm (UTC)
(Link)
It bugs me when they keep insisting a person has a given sexuality based on, well, absolutely nothing. I've seen people insist Xerxes from 300 was bi. He might well be, but their only evidence is that he's fabulous. If I was a God-King I'd dress any way I pleased. We see a rather sizable harem full of women, unless we're assuming he shooed the men out for the benefit of the guy he was trying to impress.
From:resop
Date:May 14th, 2010 01:10 am (UTC)

re: General shipping rant

(Link)
My own opinion is that whenever people bring up the word "canon" and "fan-fiction" up in the same sentence I have to roll my eyes.

All fan-fiction is not canon by definition.

No pairing in fan-fiction should be considered better or worse than any other pairing because all fan-fiction is alternate universe. Period.

Now, some pairings are easier to pull of than others because you don't have to come up with as many reasons why they would get together and you don't have to ask the reader to suspend their disbelief as much at your plot devices, but a sufficiently skilled fan-fiction writer should be able to slash anyone.

Now, the people who are hypersensitive about their OTP need to chill out. It's one thing to write a super fantastic fic such that if any one read it then they would instantly see that their OTP is 100% truth, but it is another thing to rabidly put down other peoples stories or pairings.
(Deleted comment)
[User Picture]
From:lunaoh
Date:September 15th, 2010 09:32 am (UTC)
(Link)
Wow, late reply! XD Not that it matters or anything. =)

Um, honey, the point I was trying to make that whether a pairing is canon or not shouldn't matter. No matter how much subtext a non- canon pairing has, it's still fanon if BUT THAT DOESN'T MEAN IT'S BAD. Saying semi-canon kind of sounds like an excuse imo. =( There's nothing wrong with shipping fanon, no matter what some people say. There's no need for excuses. =)

> Go to Top
LiveJournal.com