?

Log in

Fanboys Vs Romance - Rabid fangirls and fanboys suck

> Recent Entries
> Archive
> Friends
> Profile

January 27th, 2011


Previous Entry Share Next Entry
yummuse
11:43 am - Fanboys Vs Romance


This one fanboy has been giving me a hard time lately because I enjoy shipping. There are some pairings I liked and some pairings I dislike. I once pointed out that I hated a pairing in the DBZ fandom (Videl/Gohan) and gave him my own reasons. He got defensive and tried to make me change my mind about the pairing by telling me that the fanfic writers can do something with it. How is reading a couple of decent fanfiction going to make me change my mind about the pairing? Do I have a right to have an opinion?

I felt like if I say anything that doesn't relate to the series' canon, he'll start shoving down canon facts down my throat. I pointed out to him, defensively, that I don't have to like or accept every single aspect about the canon, I have a right to disagree with it. I have no clue what his problems is or why he feels that my opinions are a threat to him.

Then he starts ranting about shippers in general. He has this attitudethat shippers are wrong to pair people up or use pairings as the focus of their stories because that is not what his favorite series at the moment is about. You have no idea how many times he rants about this. It gives me a headache.

Look, fanboy, everyone in the fandom is different. The idea of fandom is to express yourself and be creative. It almost makes it sound like you want these people to stop doing what they love and agree with everying you say because your opinion is oh so right. *rolls eyes* Wrong.
You can disagree with shipping as much as you want, but don't tell these people how they should use the characters. 



(4 comments | Leave a comment)

Comments:


[User Picture]
From:morrienymph
Date:January 27th, 2011 11:31 pm (UTC)
(Link)
And just who is he to tell you what or what not to ship? Fandom takes itself way too seriously sometimes.
From:yummuse
Date:January 28th, 2011 12:12 am (UTC)
(Link)
I believe his problem is that he takes his favorite series a little too personally. He doesn't seem to grasp the difference between reality and fiction. His whole world revolves around his favorite animated series'. This is why he acts before thinking. He doesn't realize that people have different views then he does.

I feel sorry for him, really.
[User Picture]
From:sirth_osiris
Date:January 28th, 2011 02:51 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I guess as long as you accept it's non-canon if the facts are there, or accept the alternate view, that's fine. But it does seem this guy is the one who cannot accept anything to 'ruin the purity of his series,' and not allow people to fantasize or imagine anything else; Thereby not allowing them to enjoy the series in their own way. I guess this does seem like excess fanboy to me.
From:yummuse
Date:January 28th, 2011 07:39 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Bingo! You hit the nail on the head. I've always acknowledged the facts from canon. I never ignore it. But sometimes when you are writing a story, you might have to bend the rules a little. All fanfiction isn't considered canon, I pointed this out to him, but I think he ignored what I had to say.

I forgot to mention this: He is a hypocrite. He created a self insert OC. I have no clue if it is a Gary Stu or not, I had no way to tell, since he tells me that he tries to avoid Gary Stu. I didn't think he accomplished this since his fic read like a biography rather than an actual story. It was all about him hanging around with the characters. And he complains about people not sticking to canon? Hah!

> Go to Top
LiveJournal.com